My Kind of Town
CoPA + Art★Bar 2023 Juried Exhibition | July 14 – August 30
Opening Reception: Friday, July 14 | 5:30 PM
Comments and awards | 8 PM
“One never reaches home, but where paths that have an affinity for each other intersect, the whole world looks like home, for a time.”
Don Krause, curator and owner of Art★Bar, has deep roots in Milwaukee, as do many of us. Our challenge for this exhibition is to consider whether we live in a city or a small town, or have traveled abroad and felt a bond with our surroundings – what makes us impart to ourselves “this is my kind of town”?
Whether that notion belongs solely to where we are, where we grew up, a nice little spot we’ve visited or briefly passed through, a feeling bubbles up that we could very much settle in for a longer stay and put down some roots, or reminds us of a place we call home.
What are the moments you’ve captured when standing in a space or a place and the idea crept upon you “I could live here” or the instant you smile and hold the thought in your mind “This is my kind of town.”
“At the end of the day, it isn’t where I came from. Maybe home is somewhere I’m going and never have been before.”
- Don’s Prize: $100 in gift cards to Art★Bar, Wonderland and Two Bar
- CoPA Board Prize: 1 year membership to CoPA Milwaukee
ENTRY OPEN | Sunday, April 23 | 12P
ENTRY CLOSE | Sunday, May 28 | 11P
Artists will be notified by Thursday, June 1, via email and will also be listed on this page. These are the only forms of notification that will be issued for selections juried into the exhibition.
By submitting to this exhibition/competition, you agree to meet the exhibition criteria as explained below and to be responsible for the delivery and collection of your work to and from the venue within the appointed dates and times.
CoPA, and Art★Bar reserve the right to disqualify images that condone hate speech, racism, and gratuitous violence.
By submitting work, you are agreeing to allow the use of your submitted images for use in promoting the exhibition and CoPA.
Final Selections must be “Gallery Ready” for exhibition and sale as follows:
- You must be a CoPA member to participate in this exhibition.
- CoPA Members may submit up to three (3) entries.
- Work not previously shown in a CoPA exhibition.
- You MUST follow the naming convention for submission; any submission not meeting this requirement will be disqualified from the competition and all fees forfeited. Read the above-linked document (in blue) for instructions. (Example: EMaddox_My Town_Neighbors)
- Limit your image size to 1200px on the longest side; images larger than this may not be accepted by the form.
- 32MB Max File Size
- JPEG / JPG files only, please. No other file type will be accepted.
DELIVERY DATES | Monday, June 26 to Sunday, July 9
Delivery Hours: Monday to Sunday 3P to 9P – please be courteous and conscientious of the bartenders accepting your artwork.
DELIVERY OF ARTWORK
CoPA and Art★Bar are not responsible for damage or theft of artwork while in transit. Work will be inspected at the time of check-in. Artists are responsible for the delivery of the artwork to the Art★Bar and for collecting artwork from the Art★Bar in person or by proxy.
Art★Bar | 722 East Burleigh, Milwaukee 53212
Artists are encouraged but not required to offer their work for sale. The Art★Bar retains a 20% commission on sales.
FRAMING GUIDELINES FOR ARTWORK EXHIBITED
All artwork submitted for exhibition shall adhere to the following framing guidelines. Failure to do so may impact participation in the exhibition. Be mindful that this gallery is also a bar and make your framing and mounting selections appropriately.
- Glass or Plexiglas are preferable if the artwork is framed. The product should be of sufficient thickness to prevent visible warping or waving. If the glass is broken upon arrival, new glass will be fitted and the artist billed for the cost of the glass.
- All framed works shall be securely fitted within their frames.
- All mats are to be clean and white in color.
- No plastic poster frames.
- All framed works are to be wired for hanging.
- No saw-tooth hangers.
- No unwired D-Rings.
- No clips.
- No fishing line.
- Hanging wires are to be no closer than 2” to the top of the frame when pulled taut.
- Wires are not to be attached to the clips that are holding the back of the frame together but should have their own support attached to the frame and not the picture backing. Taping or gluing the wire to the frame or board is insufficient.
- CoPA and Art★Bar are not responsible for pieces that are damaged due to improper hanging hardware or poor craftsmanship.
- If framed, images must be framed in clean, plain white or black frames. If matted, mats must be clean white. No exceptions. You may print professionally on other surfaces, such as aluminum, canvas, linens, and wood.
- Maximum Width: 32″ – contact [email protected] if you need an exception to this.
- Maximum Height: 60″
PICK-UP DATES | Friday, September 1 to Saturday, September 9
PIck-up Hours: Monday to Sunday 3P to 9P – please be courteous and conscientious of the bartenders accepting your artwork.
If you can not retrieve your work at this time, please make arrangements to have your work picked up by someone else. Neither CoPA nor Art★Bar will be responsible for unclaimed artwork.
NOTE: This exhibition is open to CoPA members only. Email [email protected] with questions and comments.
This call for entries is closed.