CoPA + Alverno Arts & Cultures Gallery
Alverno Arts & Cultures Gallery | Friday, January 27 to Wednesday, March 1, 2023
Deadline Extended | submit by 12P Wednesday, January 18th
Daily gallery hours: Monday thru Saturday, 10AM to 4 PM (Open until 7 PM on Thursdays)
Opening Reception | Friday, February 10th | 4:30-7:30 PM
Artists in Conversation | Friday February 10th | 4:30 PM
This exhibition is complicated. We must choose what we consider our very best photograph to date, but our best can change from day to day. This is an age-old problem, or rather an opportunity to take ourselves out of the equation and edit through eyes as impartial and unbiased as possible. No one else cares how difficult a photograph was to make. Viewers only care how a photograph makes them feel. Self-editing, any artist in any discipline will tell you, is the hardest magic trick of all.
Each photographer may include one photograph in the exhibition.
For anyone interested, master photographer Tom Ferderbar will look at up to four of your top choices and offer his opinion as to which is the best. Tom will spend up to 30 minutes with you via Zoom discussing the artistic, technical,and emotional merits of the work. Contact [email protected] to schedule an appointment.
EXHIBITION | Personal Best
Friday, January 27, 2023 – Wednesday, March 1, 2023
ENTRY OPEN | Now
In your submission, you will be asked whether you would agree to take part in an artist talk before the reception on Friday, February 10, at 4:30P. Two photographers will be chosen to answer questions from Alverno’s art students, presented to the photographers two weeks in advance of the talk.
ENTRY OPEN | Monday, January 2nd at 9P
NOTIFICATIONS | Wednesday, January 18th via Email
Artists will be notified by Wednesday, January 18th via email and will also be listed on this page. These are the only forms of notification that will be issued for selections juried into the exhibition.
- You must be a CoPA member to participate in this exhibition.
- CoPA Members may submit upto one (1) entry.
- New work only; images made since 2020 and not previously shown in a CoPA exhibition.
- By submitting to this exhibiton you agree to meet the exhibition criteria as laid out below, and to be responsible for delivery and collection of your work to and from the venue within the appointed dates.
- You MUST follow the naming convention for submission; any submission not meeting this requirement will be disqualified from competition and all fees forfeit. Read the above linked document (in blue) for instructions. (Example: EMaddox_Alverno_Beyond.)
- Limit your image size to 1200px on the longest side; images larger than this will be disqualified without notice and all fees forfeit.
- JPEG / JPG files only, please. No other file type will be accepted.
- Work must be mounted and framed in a clean, plain white frame with pristine plexiglass or glass. If matted, only clean white mats.
- Work must arrived wired and ready-to-hang: NO Saw-tooth. NO D-Rings. NO Clips.
- Maximum Width: 30 inches
- Maximum Height: 60 inches
NOTE: You MUST be logged in to view the submission form at the bottom of this page.
Friday, January 20th & Saturday, January 21st | 10A to 4P
Artists accepted into this exhibition are responsible for their work(s) being delivered to and collected from Alverno Arts & Cultures Gallery.
Any work not received by 4P on Saturday, January 21st will neither be exhibited nor awarded and all fees forfeit.
DELIVERY OF ARTWORK
CoPA and Alverno Arts and Cultures Gallery are not responsible for damage or theft of artwork while in transit. Work will be inspected at time of check in. Artists are responsible for delivery of the artwork to the Alverno Arts and Cultures Gallery and for collecting artwork from the Alverno Arts and Cultures Gallery in person or by proxy.
FRAMING GUIDELINES FOR ARTWORK EXHIBITED
All artwork submitted for exhibition shall adhere to the following framing guidelines. Failure to do so may impact participation in the exhibition.
- Glass or plexi are preferable if artwork is covered. The product should be of sufficient thickness to prevent visible warping or waving. If glass is broken upon arrival, new glass will be fitted and the artist billed for cost of glass.
- All framed works shall be securely fitted within their frames.
- No plastic poster frames.
- All framed works are to be wired for hanging.
- NO saw-tooth hangers. NO D-Rings. NO Clips. NO Fishing line.
- Hanging wires are to be no closer than 2” to the top of the framed when pulled taut.
- Wires are not to be attached to the clips that are holding the back of the frame together, but should have their own support attached to the frame and not the picture backing. Taping or gluing the wire to the frame or board is insufficient.
- CoPA and the Alverno Arts & Cultures Gallery are not responsible for pieces that are damaged due to improper hanging hardware or poor craftsmanship.
- You may print professionally on other surfaces, such as aluminum, canvas, linens and woods.
- Maximum Width: 30″
- Maximum Height: 60″
PICK UP DATES
Thursday, March 2nd + Friday, March 3rd, + Saturday, March 4th | 10A to 4P
If you can not retrieve your work at this time please make arrangements to have your work picked up by someone else. Any unclaimed artwork will be donated.
Please Log In to View this form