Together Alone: A Virtual Photography Experience
“The main thing is to be moved, to love, to hope, to tremble, to live.” ~ Auguste Rodin
When people share an experience—in the case of the novel corona virus, a global experience—we cannot help but observe and appreciate the things humanity has in common rather than the differences between cultures, nationalities and beliefs. Mothers and sisters, uncles and grand-dads, rich and poor (although the former will always have an easier time of it), coaches, players, dancers and photographers—the whole shebang of humankind comprises the fine point on this unprecedented time in history. Due to social distancing and quarantine across the globe we find ourselves mercifully, poignantly, longingly and lovingly together…alone. Welcome to the fam.
Together Alone is a virtual photography exhibition curated by CoPA in partnership with Shepherd Express and Zadarski List . Everyone who contributes a photograph to the exhibition is providing witness to these extraordinary events and is helping to chronicle the unique and not-so-unique ways in which we cope with social distancing and quarantine.
Together Alone is open to anyone who wishes to submit a photograph depicting how the pandemic has changed our lives. What are people doing while sequestered in their homes? How are we coping and staying sane without social gatherings, live music, the gym, restaurants, play-dates and all the other group activities we must now forgo?
CoPA is thrilled to be partnering with our good friends Shepherd Express and our new friends in our sister city of Zadar, Croatia at the daily newspaper Zadarski List (the online edition). Both publications will publish images from Milwaukee and Zadar so that we can be truly Together Alone.
Open to everyone.
Monday, March 30 at 12PM Central US Time
On-going. At the end of each week we will send the images collected during the week to Shepherd Express and Zadarski List.
Check Shepherd Express and Zadarski List for your images. Because we expect a great many submissions and the exhibition is not juried it will be impossible for our volunteers at CoPA to notify everyone.
There are no awards per se, but once per week an image of photographic excellence will be selected from Milwaukee and one from our sister city of Zadar and featured with a brief paragraph about the outstanding photograph.
- Artists are asked to apply online; submission forms will be active at 12P(CDT) on Monday, March 30, 2020, and each Monday following for the duration of the exhibition.
- Artists may submit one image per week.
- JPeg Files ONLY @ 72dpi and no larger than 1200px on the longest side.
- Files not matching these specifications will not be published.
- For links to how-to videos and further info, please refer to: How to Submit to a CoPA Ehxibiiton
- No images depicting hate, sexism or racism. CoPA, Shepherd Express and Zadarski reserve the right to exclude any image from exhibition for any reason they see fit.
- Please name your jpeg files as follows:
- Name of Artist_Occupation_Image Title (underscore between section)
- Example: Pam Ferderbar_Writer_Empty Streets.jpeg
Please direct all inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are writing in Croatian, please give us a day or two to make translations and to respond.