Sherwood by Martha Coaty 2012
Assignment: Portrait Milwaukee
The creative team at Milwaukee Magazine, responsible for the publication’s photo essays and photography, will form the jury for the CoPA/Alverno exhibition entitled, Assignment: Portrait Milwaukee.
This exhibition is open to CoPA members ONLY, and each member may submit up to five (5) pieces in a series that express their unique vision of Milwaukee. (Limit one series.)
About the judges:
The Milwaukee Magazine creative team has collectively worked for the magazine for 15 years producing award-winning photo essays and other projects that revolve around photography. Brock Kaplan, Kelly Rippl, and Kenny Yoo have endeavored to spotlight some of the most celebrated and hard hitting stories originating in our city. These documented snapshots of the place we call home are meant to move Milwaukee towards becoming a stronger, more diverse community.
Opening Reception: September 5 / 4:30P – 8:00P at Alverno College Art & Cultures Gallery
Runs through Friday, September 21.
From the Judges:
- Portraits are more than simply a record of someone’s appearance—they expose the power, weakness, importance, beauty or contrast of the subject to her or his environment. Portraits tell a story and draw connections.
- A moment in time that tells a story or gives a glimpse of MKE
- Connections or contrast between the subject and environment
- Subjects outside of their element or where the environment is the subject and has its own story of MKE
- Breaking down walls, creating intrigue, capturing moments, a need to know the history/story/record
- City-Centric, Portraits of MKE, personalities in unexpected places
- How do you see and experience the city, your place in the city, how you see your city
- Home, where/what is considered Home
- The photographer’s vantage point of the city, ‘self-portraits’ of the photographer in their city or how they experience MKE – Milwaukee through their specific and unique lens
- The Unexpected/Unseen MKE
Submissions open: Friday, June 9/ 12P
Submissions close: Friday, July 6 / 11:59P
Notifications: Friday, July 20
Drop off: August 16 12-7P and August 17 12-7P at Alverno Art & Cultures Gallery
Pick up: at Alverno Art & Cultures Gallery: September 22 10A – 4P
Final Selections must be “Gallery Ready” for exhibition and sale as follows:
If framed – images must be framed in clean, plain white or black frames.
If two (2) or more pieces in a series are selected, then framed pieces MUST NOT EXCEED 11″x14″/14″x11″.
If matted – mats must be clean white. No exceptions. You may print professionally on other surfaces, such as aluminum, canvas, linens and woods.
All pieces MUST be equipped with a wired hanger on the back; no Sawtooth, or D-rings.
Note: Alverno will not take a commission on any sales, however, a donation is appreciated.
Any questions? please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Any web issues? please email email@example.com